Rush - Fly By Night CD (album) cover

FLY BY NIGHT

Rush

sukmytoe
3 stars The Rush sound starts to come together on this album - Neil Peart has taken his place on the seat of the drum engine of the band. 1. Anthem - the beginning of the early classic Rush sound this track is one of the Rush canon set pieces defining what was to come. 2. Best I can - standard rocker but way more advanced in quality than anything on the first album. Still very influenced by the Who to my ears. 3. Between, beneath and behind - Pleasant enough track but pretty standard fare. 4. By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Rush's first epic and a live favorite. 5. Fly by night - To me, one of the instantly recognisable Rush tracks that starts to define Rush. 6. Making memories - Pleasant smaller track. 7. Rivendell - I enjoy this gentle track although it does go on a bit too long for its own good. 8. In the end - The second longest track on the album, starts off with Rush's softer side before rocking out in what was becoming the Rush identifier sound.

Unlike the first Rush album this one will continue to entertain my ears in future as it will remain on my play list however the best of Rush was still very much on the way. With this album Rush shouldered their way into the 70's musical who's who list as a solid entity with their own identity. A very solid three stars for me.

sukmytoe | 3/5 |