Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids CD (album) cover

WILD ORCHIDS

Steve Hackett

N Ellingworth
5 stars Reviewing the Special Edition.

Buying this album was a bit of a risk for me as I'm not a fan of Genesis and know very little about Steve Hackett's solo work. I'm very glad I took the risk as this album is now one I'd consider a favourite.

On the first listen I was shocked by the sheer diversity of the album (everything from classical through swampy blues to very heavy prog) but I soon found that the diversity is one reason why this album is so good.

Of course the other reason is the quality of the music itself which despite a couple of down points (A Girl Called Linda and Why which in my opinion are the closest this album has to filler tracks) is excellent throughout. I found the use of the orchestra particularly interesting in the heavier songs.

I find it hard to pinpoint one favourite song from the album but in my opinion the highlights are: Set Your Compass, Down Street, Man In The Long Black Coat, The Fundamentals of Brainwashing/Howl and A Dark Night In Toytown.

Overall this album is a very good listen and in my opinion a good introduction to Steve Hackett's solo work for those who (like myself) haven't heard anything by him before.

5/5