Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt) - Modrý Efekt & Jazzový orchestr Čs. rozhlasu: Nová Syntéza CD (album) cover

MODRÝ EFEKT & JAZZOVÝ ORCHESTR ČS. ROZHLASU: NOVÁ SYNTÉZA

Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt)

GruvanDahlman
3 stars Nova synteza is my fourth album by Modry Efekt and it takes me right into the big band side of rock/prog/jazz. Being a fan of pompous, overblown (meant in every possibly positive wa) and highly ambitious experimentations in the merging of genres, I like this. Echoes of other contemporaries such as Centipede, CCS, New Trolls (circa Concerto grosso) and Deep Purple's Concerto for group and orcehstra resound in the music displayed on Nova synteza.

The album opens in grand fashion with a slumbering organ and goes straight into furios orchestrated jazz-rock. It is, as a whole, a very cohesive album and gives the listener the sense of listening to a classical piece or suit, albeit strewn with rock and blues. The fact that the music sometimes resemble the soundtracks of action movies from the same era makes it, in my opinion, all the more amusing and interesting..

I think that Nova synteza is a very good album and I do enjoy it every time I return to it. I just find that the music is not as memorable as on later albums and I prefer, actually, the coming Modry Efekt, being more focused on the band itself and the sounds, imagery and soundscapes they are so capable of producing. They seem to drown, sometimes, in the orchestrated arena.

In short, Nova synteza is a very enjoyable listening experience and represents the past, before the future, the ever so great, came into being. Musically it is a treat but it sticks to your (i.e. my) mind as an album, not as individual tracks, which is a shame. A truly great album provides both. Three solid stars and hats off to the bold attempt.

GruvanDahlman | 3/5 |