Mastodon - Crack the Skye CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

5 stars 10/10

The masterpiece I knew it would be.

Mastodon at its apex; nothing more. I have watched as they gradually evolved their sound, but Crack the Skye is the culmination of this evolution and more. The vocals are at their best, instrumentation too (even though the style of Brann Dailor is simpler here, although he can still melt your brain), and prog influences are even more notorious. Why else this album could be the best rated of them here on the site?

Anyway there is virtually no weakness in Crack the Skye. This is one album that surpasses their expectations. I easily found and pointed negatives on its predecessors, but after repeated listening I find no this. Opening overwhelming Oblivion extended to the end of The Last Baron (who along with The Czar is constituted as the best moment of the album and are probably the two best songs I've ever heard of Mastodon so far) there is not a single flaw on this album immaculate.

Five stars complete.