Os Mutantes - Jardim Elétrico CD (album) cover

JARDIM ELÉTRICO

Os Mutantes

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Argonaught
2 stars Ever since I heard Depois do Fim, which is - seriously - one of the best symphonic "prog" albums (quite on par with with CTTE and the best of Genesis) of all time, I have been keen on finding more of the same quality Brazilian stuff. Knowing that such masterpieces don't usually grow in barren soil and usually indicate the abundance of fertile substrate, I kind of hoped I'd find a couple of dozen decent prog albums from 1970s Brazil.

That's how I bought Jardim Eletrico, even though the PA ratings weren't impressive and the snippets of the album, available on YouTube weren't too promising. The cover art was great, though. Yes, I am a sucker for good, eye-catching album art :)

I haven't spinned the album much, but the 1st and 2nd listens were starkly disappointing. I wouldn't give it more than 3 stars even in the pop-folk category. Either the "proglivity" of Os Mutantes hadn't kicked in yet, or had already evaporated from their recording studio. I am not hearing much psychedelia or space or progressive stuff; it's just semi-folksy pop, recycling some of the 1960s themes and sounds to the point of looking almost like a parody.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with melodic, well-made non-prog music, but Jardim IMO isn't played or sung too well either. So, my quest for *another* great Brazilian prog album is still underway. Or, I will just stick to Bacamarte, and also to the wonderful non-proggers Elis Regina, Eliane Elias, Azymuth, Eumir Deodato, AC Jobim, Astrud Gilberto, Seu Jorge, Cibelli and the like :)

Argonaught | 2/5 |