Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

5 stars This is my favorite album ever, so don't mind, I will praise it. I will not explain the Tarkus "plot", because you could find it here or anywhere else at the web, and the most of the plot involves you stare at the paintings, listen to the song, and let your mind do the rest.

This was the album that stucked me into the real oldschool ProgRock. I was looking for technical death metal bands, but I reached a point that I can't found something really "new" at all. So I found Tarkus album cover somewhere. At first, look at the album cover too. Could you feel it? There's something more than simple music. After their great progressive debut, Keith Emerson guides the band to another musical level, a sort of technical rock, hardcore tempo changes, fast amount of notes and humouristic experimentalism . An avant-classical opera. Greg was afraid and refused to play the Tarkus suit at first. Thanks god, he's accepted the challenge and included "Battlefield" at the Tarkus side of the album. Yeah, Battlefield shows Greg feelings at max, you could really dive into the guitar solo and his soft vocals, but critical lyrics. And Palmer epic free-jazz drums blows everything out of your mind.

When you play Eruption you think: LOL, sounds like a SNES boss theme. But it's 71'. There's no hardcore videogames OSTs and boss themes. There's only Keith Emerson and his amazing moog, his epic keybords.

Tarkus is unique. The kind of stuff you heard and try to find something like that, but you just can't find. Never. Even the same band could do it again (well, ELP really did KE9, but Tarkus came first and it was my first ELP album). Every track here is a masterpiece. I'll not recc you any song, just buy it, and you'll get. I really can't understand how many people use to get bored at Tarkus.

Tarkus was a Masterpiece, and it's still a masterpiece. Even if you hate this album, you couldn't deny the genius behind this work. I could frenchkiss' ELP for that.

VOTOMS | 5/5 |