Zero Hour - Metamorphosis CD (album) cover

METAMORPHOSIS

Zero Hour

The T
1 stars You can remember a good pop song almost in its entirety after just one hearing. A symphony by Mahler or Shostakovich, probably will take a long time, more than twenty sessions listening to all the details, but eventually, you'll be there. You'll remember at least the core of the work.

Every well made music, from the bottom of the ladder to the top, should leave a lasting impression in your memory. That's what structure is for. Yes, those who say there should be no choruses and repetition of parts in progressive music are so so wrong....for in the highest form of this art, by far more "progressive" than prog-rock, there is repetition... there must be something that gives coherence, a sense of structural rhythm to a composition.... Our beloved genre, whatever you may say, is first and foremost ROCK, wheter it's metal, space, symphonic, or any subgenre, they all come from the womb of ROCK, and as rock pieces (yes, Genesis and Yes too, they are progressive ROCKERS), our songs must have any resemblance at leats to a structural unity....

Enter Zero Hour....

Man, I've heard this album more than 6 times, one day I listened to it three times one after the other! And you know what?

I still can't remember a single song...not a song... a can't even remember a single section!!! Now, this is a very techinical record, I give you that. every musician here is capable of playing a lot of notes at the same time and at thunderous speeds... the drummer, for instance, is really fantastic, one of the best I've heard.... the singer is not great but gets the job done.... so, instrumentally speaking, you'll hear quite a few details that will leave you admiring the band members... but the problem is, if you try to remember what you just listened to, if you try to hmmm or whistle or in any way evocate any part of this collection of songs...well, you won't... for this cd was made with the utmost disrespect to the laws of coherence and integrity that should be embraced by any good piece of art... every song in the album is a mess made up from a thousand complex, yet not quite connected with each other riffs; time signature changes, so abruptly done that they don't sound technichal, they sound violent, illogical, hurting people's ears and mind.

So should I give this album at least credit for its technicality? Welll.... not really. After listening to this, I've bought an album by Spiral Architect, and then I realized Zero Hour is not even that complex a music.... for Spiral Architect's works are extremely more difficult but they manage to retain a little, but it's there, sense of coherence. And please, let's not talk about really technical music, not the one you play by trying to show you have three arms but the one you achieve by making the most out of harmony and melody.... try The Flower Kings, try Yes, or in metal, try Dream Theater, try Shadow Gallery.... you won't hear octopusses playing music here...but you'll here MUSIC....

Avoid completely.... for ultra technical metal, try Cynic or Spiral Architect.... For good songs, try everything else....

Not recommended for: music lovers that like their songs to be coherent

Recommended for: sea-creatures lovers, specially octopusses

The T | 1/5 |