Yes - Relayer CD (album) cover

RELAYER

4.36 | 2060 ratings

OpethGuitarist
3 stars A definite improvement from Tales, but it appears the brilliance of Yes has timed out.

The beginning has much promise, almost sounding like a fusion of the intro to CTTE with harmonics on the guitar. At around eleven minutes in, it appears the band lost songwriting ideas and is just "going with the flow" as they say. An entirely too long middle section over-extended with already used ideas and little direction to them. Anderson's voice towards the end saves the song from falling on its face.

Sound Chaser is my favorite from this record, but still lacking the brilliance I found on Fragile in tracks like Heart of the Sunrise. However, I think this song marks as some of Howe's best playing along with the choices in CTTE. The band really hurts without Wakeman's effect on keyboards. Moraz lacks the touch that Wakeman seemed almost born with.

To Be Over is a rambling of prog like sounds with little cohesion to them. It just kind of ends after 9 minutes are up, and you are left wondering what the band intended to accomplish with the song.

Overall this isn't a record I particularly enjoy, and not where I would start for those looking to get into Yes (that is if you already haven't). I find Fragile and CTTE much better, Yes's real classics.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |