Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain CD (album) cover

ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN

Agalloch

Experimental/Post Metal

OpethGuitarist
3 stars This one took me a while to get into, and even then, it still doesn't measure up quite to what I get from The Mantle. It's clear their influences have broadened, but the band remains true to the sound they've forged over the years.

I am a bit disenchanted with the first 3 songs of the album. They are the weakest of the work here, maybe they just never clicked with me but I am not all too impressed with them. I would advise to start with track 4 for those who have never experienced Agalloch and have a desire to get in the band. Fire Above, Ice Below, brings back memories of the aesthetic nature of Agalloch mixed with many post-rock elements. Not Unlike the Waves has an uplifting quality to it, similar to a style Opeth uses. Around 6:45 of the song an epic riff comes in which is my favorite moment in the album.

The closer is perhaps one of Agalloch's most 'progressive' efforts. With many experimental effects incorporated into the tradional Agalloch sound. Overall, this record is well-done, but I'm less thrilled about it than I had hoped. The band's sound is one of a kind, I just wish they would have taken a different course through some of this record.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |