Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

4.28 | 1939 ratings

OpethGuitarist
2 stars No.

For as much as I respect Yes and the undoubtedly large legion of fans they have gained over the years, I have a hard time contemplating what people get out of this album, other than perhaps nostalgia. It's average at best, and admitted by fans of the band as a 4th or 5th ranking album behind the other "classics".

For me personally, it's much too common sounding. I get bored easily from the album and find little in terms of the music connecting with me. Starship Trooper has a nice and pleasant closing to it, and is the highlight of the record for me. Other than that, not much really is here that makes me go "wow, this is incredible stuff". It's some average prog playing at best, and not nearly up to par when I compare it to CTTE or Fragile.

Hard-line Yes fans will certainly enjoy this, but for those with a very broad progressive base, I would suggest looking elsewhere for Yes's best material.

OpethGuitarist | 2/5 |