Threshold - Wounded Land  CD (album) cover

4 stars 8/10

What a great debut!

Well, I've already heard of Threshold here in PA for a while, but it was not until recently that I wanted to invest in listening to this band. Oh God, how could I remain oblivious to them all these years ... It was a mistake, but is being offset by listening to wonderful songs, the first of this powerful debut, Wounded Land.

By the looks of the band has dealt with changes in their line-up for all those years, and nothing is more evident than in the vocalist Damian Wilson, who sings here, the third album of the band "Extinct Instinct" and the recent "March of Progress. "He has a great voice! Really, I'm amazed by how melodious and powerful it is. Along with the guitars, is the highlight of this first album.

Some reviewers have commented that it sounds like a Marillion "heavier". Well, I know some of Marillion to agree with them, but neo-prog influences are visible here, as well as that sound "metal" of the late 80s (evident on drums and keyboards). There is a lot of sound "cheesy" here, but as I am not a hardcore fan of this Troubled me one bit. I think the most obvious parallel here is the debut of Dream Theater, When Dream and Day Unite.

The highlights are the longest tracks, Sanity's End, Surface to Air and Consume to Live, plus the beautiful and acoustic closure Keep it With Mine. My rating is 4 stars

voliveira | 4/5 |