Porcupine Tree - Metanoia CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

1 stars There's no question in my mind that "Metanoia" is the least appealing of all Porcupine Tree albums. I understand that there's a proviso on the release - that it merely comprises jam sessions recorded during the creation of the album "Signify".

But really, did this need its own release? If the band really wanted to give this kind of insight, surely the place for it would have been, at best, a bonus disc on a special edition of Signify. I cringe at the thought of how many fans rushed out to buy this one only to be bitterly disappointed.

Porcupine Tree later showed how this kind of release should really be done, with the excellent "Nil Recurring", which was formulated during the recording of "Fear of a Blank Planet". In that release we're treated to some well constructed remixes and offshoots of tracks from the major release. There's some time and effort placed into the arrangements and it therefore stands effectively on its own.

Not this one though. A very forgettable entry in the PT discography.

bonestorm | 1/5 |