Steve Hillage - Green CD (album) cover

GREEN

Steve Hillage

Canterbury Scene

Lucy Diamond
5 stars One of my favourite albums of all time, simply brilliant. A diverse mixture of rhythms and scales, from bouncy and uplifting, through meandering, ethereal soundscapes to the driving, almost menacing version of "The Om Riff". A wonderful collage of sounds and ideas, fantastically intertwined and produced. Some awesome guitar work, including Steve's seemingly infinite arsenal of guitar synth sounds. This album reaches the parts that other music cannot reach. It touches my soul. Fantastic.

Can't resist commenting on the first post in this list, by Greenback: "Hard to believe those excellent keyboards are played by a woman." Ahem, women can play keyboards too you know, some of us pretty well in fact. But actually I think a lot of what sounds like synth work on this album is actually played by Steve on guitar synth; the way the notes are bent, the weeping guitar style, the scalic patterns, just the way it's put together, it's him all over. Much respect to Miquette, but I don't think she's doing the dazzling synth solos on this album. Steve also gets a credit for Moog synthesiser, so it's hard to know who's playing which keyboards, but Steve's guitar style is unmistakable, even when it sounds like a synth!

xx