Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out CD (album) cover

Mike Oldfield

4 stars This is the album where Mike Oldfield finds a new way in my opinon - unfortunately it´s the wrong one! Both Taurus II and Orabidoo are "epics" relating to the early masterpieces and both tracks are strong. Taurus II is my personal favourite with both rockier moments as well as beautiful uillean pipes played by Paddy Moloney. I think it holds together well with a amjor theme running through the whole song. Family Man is the weakest track beeing a popsong still it´s better than the hall and Oates version. The album has a (then) modern sound and is well produced and shows an Oldfield looking at new territories (Moonlight shadow and so on) but I think there´s a lot of the Oldfield I like most. Still I think it´s an album worth looking into - could be a starting point for beginners if TB, HR and Ommadawn seems too difficult(which they´re not!).

| 4/5 |