Porcupine Tree - Recordings CD (album) cover

RECORDINGS

Porcupine Tree

MilesB
4 stars Just a minute - this is the out-takes and unwanted stuff? Then why on earth is it better than the source?

You'll see from my reviews elsewhere that I was not too impressed with Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, so PT go and release a collection of out-takes and I was sceptical... but I've been listening to PT for some time now, and I think I know how it works - they hide the best bits for the serious fans. Its that or Lightbulb Sun and Recordings got the labels mixed up.

This album - and it is a coherent album despite its origins - is simply awesome. As has been said before, it's worth getting just to hear Buying New Soul. But to have the 13 minute version of Even Less - which blows the Stupid Dream version into the weeds - makes it a must have. Everything else is fantastic, and even the last track, the mellow Oceans Have No Memory, is perfectly placed to allow you to come down gradually from the climax of Even Less.

Confidence restored - PT are still the greatest curent group out there!

MilesB | 4/5 |