Didier Malherbe - Bloom CD (album) cover

Didier Malherbe

2 stars Gee, something's gone seriously wrong here.

At the time of this release, Malherbe was still contributing to the odd Gong release. His contribution there was always a highlight to my ears.

On his first solo release of barely 35 mins, he managed to alienate me. Big time! "Bloom" lacks any sense of cohesion, totally different approaches heaped together in a mere five tracks.

Brazilian Carnival for starters followed by noodlings, even prose in a language I don't understand, a bit of spirited blowing in a mediocre and rather boring Fusion context just doesn't do it or me. I am left really, really disappointed. What a waste of time and effort!! The only good thing about it that it's perversely short. I don't know what's gotten into Malherbe, but he left me feeling seriously short changed.

Regardless of musical preferences, this album goes nowhere. Barely 2.5, rounded down with some regret..

BORA | 2/5 |