Karda Estra - Eve CD (album) cover

EVE

Karda Estra

kev rowland
Crossover Team
4 stars I am not sure how many years I have been writing about Richard Wileman, more than either he or I would like to admit. From Lives & Times to Karda Estra I have always felt an affinity with his work and this album is no different. As Karda Estra he has brought in much more classical styles and haunting visual imagery, using Ileesha Bailey's vocals as another musical instrument.

The use of woodwind and violins as lead musical instruments is a powerful tool when placed against a sparse background, and while the music can never be said to be over the top he does manage to convey some real menace during "The Pale Ray". Seven songs yet again proves to my mind that Richard is one of our finest prog musicians who has now moved over to 'the other side' and should now be thought of as a classical composer who just happens to use electric instruments from time to time.

A haunting powerful album, that is gentle and background yet also hard and dynamic.

Originally appeared in Feedback #64, Dec 01