White Willow - Storm Season CD (album) cover

STORM SEASON

White Willow

fuxi
2 stars I thought this a dreadful album, and I urge all lovers of 'symphonic prog' to stay away.

I was persuaded to buy a copy for several reasons. White Willow is listed under symphonic prog; some of this website's seasoned reviewers have heaped praise on the band's work; their keyboard player is the guy from Wobbler, whose first album I enjoyed; it seemed promising that they have a female lead singer and a female bass player. I expected ominous, but still melodious, mellotron-drenched prog somewhat in the style of Anekdoten or 1970s King Crimson, with perhaps a few exciting synth or electric guitar solos thrown in for good measure. How disappointed I was!

Although the idea of dark, doom-laden Scandinavian rock on its own does not frighten me, problems with this album are manifold. First of all, melodies are virtually non-existent, except in the case of the title tune, where the band blatantly (and ineptly) rip off Albinoni's so-called Adagio. White Willow's playing in general and their heavy (or heavyish) guitar simply sound too primitive; their lead vocals are monotonous and crude.

If you're a teenage heavy-metal lover in search of proggy thrills, this album might appeal to you - but even then you'll still have to put up with childish vocals and a total lack of true excitement.

fuxi | 2/5 |