TesseracT - Altered State CD (album) cover

ALTERED STATE

TesseracT

lukretio
2 stars I am sorry but I really do not understand all the hype surrounding this band (see latest issue of Prog magazine). No doubt they are good in doing what they do and their mix of distorted percussive riffing and soaring melodic vocals is surely rock-solid. However, I do not find their musical direction as ground-breaking or exhilarating as some of the press would portray it. In fact, I find it worrying how easily and quickly I lose interest in their music as I play it.

I think that my problem with Altered State boils down to two issues. First, all the songs sound rather samey to me as the sonic wall of palm-muted guitars quickly wears me out. Second, I really cannot stand the voice of new singer Ahse O'hara, his winey and often inexpressive way of singing also contributing to the general sense of sameness and monotony.

Overall, two-stars: it may be good but I regard this as a release that only fan of the band (and sub-genre) may appreciate - and I am definitely not one.

lukretio | 2/5 |