Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day CD (album) cover

ON THIS PERFECT DAY

Guilt Machine

Second Life Syndrome
4 stars I'm not much of a fan of Arjen Lucassen, but I think this may be my favorite of his projects. Ayreon and Avanstasia are both good, but this project has a great amount of emotion and scale to it. On top of that, the music is interesting, as I'm not sure this is really prog metal. It is mostly driven my symphonics, and is augmented with a some great riffing and awesome vocals.

I have much respect for the unique aspects of this album. The female voice-overs are a great touch, as are the wonderful song structures. The themes display a great amount of profundity, especially the final track. Speaking of, I think the two best tracks are "Season of Denial" and "Perfection?" as these two tracks represent stunning structures and the whole array of styles displayed on this album. All in all, this a great and unique album that deserves at least a few listens.

Second Life Syndrome | 4/5 |