David Sylvian - Nine Horses: Money For All CD (album) cover

David Sylvian

4 stars Clean, intelligent, AUSTERE and subversive Rock and Prog....."Freedom has its price"

Low profile by nature, David Sylvian's offerings have. also by nature. a certain elegance in both his songwriting and arrangement skills. The recording studio, as such, has always been, also part of his game. Intelligent and attractive poetry, is of course his main attribution to prog, rock, folk, you name it. Therefore when such a "great dish" is presented, with all its ingredients in top shape of substance and flavor, will seem senseless to just let go.

Every time, I play this "Nine Horses:Money for All", extended EP, it still thrills me, as the first time, so by logic, this is the kind of effort that I know, has become in my play ground, an evolving "essential" masterwork, or in "rating" language the 4.5 star deserving kind of album.

It really does not amaze me, the few ratings or attention given to such an uncomparable artist as David Sylvian is. A shame that it happens in such a "universal" page of Prog is. But still it ain't no surprise.

Now, to round things up, by subversive, I don't mean RiO, or Metal music, I mean, non-mainstream music that defies the "markets" because it never compromises, artistry for money, less subdue intelligent and emotional compositions, in able to become accessible to every "market". But otherwise completely appealing to non-mainstream, Prog/Rock audiophiles, who are kind of tired of the same old "new"? Prog repetitions and cliches.

4 becoming a 5 PA star work.................. Climb the ladder!

admireArt | 4/5 |