Cynic - Focus CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

4 stars One of the most in-depth and intriguing metal albums I have ever heard. As I played this, the first few minutes did nothing for me: I just viewed this album as another metal band with electronic influences.

Then it hit me, the psychotic wailings of the bass guitar, the digital run vocals playing off of the female vocals playing off of the growling, the time changes, EVERYTHING!

This album could be described as "Spirally epic" The music goes here and there, while constantly going full force. This is one album that one must here! So, if this is such a great album, why did I not give it a 5? Because, as all 5 star albums do for me, after hearing it I usually sit in awe for a little while just thinking to myself "wow". This album did not do it for me. While many, if not all, of the songs on here are some of the best I have ever heard, it does get a tad bit boring at times, thus making THINK about skipping a track.

asuma | 4/5 |