Blackmore's Night - Dancer And The Moon CD (album) cover

Blackmore's Night

Prog Folk

Second Life Syndrome
3 stars "Dancer and the Moon". With a title like that, I knew I was in for it. I took this album review knowing only that Blackmore's Night is a prog band, but I didn't know they are prog folk. Even more than that, I didn't know that this band's goal is to bring back an appreciation for medieval music. So, as you can tell, this band uses a lot of tambourines, flutes, pipes, and wild vocal passages. The vocalist is primarily female, though there are some male vocals strewn throughout the album.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some rockin' moments that feature some great guitar work that interweaves with the more eclectic instruments. These moments are few, though; and the majority of this album consists of vocally-driven tracks with some folksy accompaniments.

What's the verdict, then? Well, I LOVE prog rock with folk influences, but this medieval thing is a little weird at times. It often comes off as cheesy and corny, unlike the medieval parts on Pain of Salvation's "Be" or some of Kamelot's albums. The album is enjoyable, but it really requires that you be in a certain mood. Plus, there is little here to bring you back again and again. All in all, an okay album that medieval music lovers will like, but that type of person isn't very common. These musicians are masters of their genre: I'm just not so sure I care all that much.

Second Life Syndrome | 3/5 |