Threshold - Critical Mass  CD (album) cover

3 stars Follower to Hypothetical, Critical Mass clearly relies on the same formula than its predecessor. Same riffs, same song construction, same simplistic lyrics, same studio, same producers, same artists for the (nice) art cover and photos. And finally the same story of hit and miss.

The hits : "Phenomenom", a powerful opener, "Falling Away" and "Echoes of Life", two catchy mid-tempo rockers, and "Avalon", a very nice ballad if you don't fear a little cheesiness.

The misses : the four other songs, either overlong or uninspired, sometimes both, despite a few good parts, especially in the album's title eponym song. Maybe this last one will grow on me sooner or later to join the hits.

In fact, to be honest, I find the bad songs of Critical Mass significantly better than those of Hypothetical . but I preferred the good ones of Hypothetical ! So, finally, I think the two albums are equally average.

Two points can be added. First, as for Hypothetical, there is nothing progressive here, just plain and simple melting of AOR and heavy metal, which is fine for me but could disappoint many progheads. Second, you can give credit to the band for their fight for environment, even if the lyrics are everything but subtle.

"Round and round and round again" : yes, indeed, I have to agree .

Bupie | 3/5 |