Samla Mammas Manna - Måltid  CD (album) cover

MÅLTID

Samla Mammas Manna

RIO/Avant-Prog

DrömmarenAdrian
4 stars Where people presumably uses to begin their Samla listening I almost end it. "Måltid" from 1973 is Samla mammas manna's second album featuring now a guitarist in Coste Apetrea. That what mostly what I missed on their first record, and with the guitar, also a hugher concentration on the melodies takes form. To give this four or five stars is totally a matter of personal taste. I directly hear we're talking about great music. What's progressive with Samla is especially its progression. Their music developed all the time and on this record it has become clever and brilliant melodical music with a feeling of controlled freedom, humour and youth. I prefer "Klossa knapitatet" before this because I think they on that record had polished away the worst sillyness and developed their symphonic approach, which even is noticeable here.

Måltid (Meal)'s brightest shining stars are three: "Dundrets fröjder", "Den återupplivade låten" and "Folkvisa i morse". "Dundrets fröjder" (The thunder's delight) is a solid compisition with some recurrent themes, flying on the glory wings of Apetrea's guitar, Hollmer's piano, Bruniusson's drums and Krants' bass. It's a perfect Samla song (of which you can here more of on their two next comming discs), proving masterwork instrumentation och crazy songwriting. "Den återupplivade låten" (The revived tune) begins slowly and explodes in cascades. A totally different Samla song. "Folkvisa i morse"(Folk song this morning) is a short "progg hit" I knew from my childhood, with an easy little joyful melody playing around a breakfast table.

The "Tärningen" (The Dice) is a very good composition and "Oförutsedd förlossning", "Svackorpoängen" and "Minareten" are also worth listening. I don't find "Syster System" or "Vaerelseds tillbud" as interesting as the others. The first of those is little annoying(deliberately) and in the other it doesn't happen som much.

A very interesting and good record but not as important as "Klossa knapitatet" which for me is their best. But please check out Samla mammas manna if you haven't done it(2nd, 3rd or 4th records). Four strong stars from me!

DrömmarenAdrian | 4/5 |