Seventh Dimension - Circle Of Life CD (album) cover

CIRCLE OF LIFE

Seventh Dimension

Progrussia
4 stars An impressive debut, but not without growing pains.

The band on their web page describe their influences as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Kamelot, Seventh Wonder and a few others (I would add Stratovarius to that). And this is pretty much what you get - an accessable mix of prog, melodic, symphonic and gothic metal. Without it coalescing into something original. But I attribute that to their early stage of development as a band. I have much hope because the mastermind - guitarist Luca dele Fave - is obviously a classically trained and talented composer. This is especially evident in the 45 minute epic. Even though it consists of 8 distinct parts, it feels cohesive (unlike many other similar epic attempts). Conceptually, it describes a persons life as he moves thru joy of birth, anger of youth (exacerbated by certain tragic events), self discovery and reflection. However, I do feel the concept is better realized thru music rather than singing (good, but not great) and lyrics, that are very amateurish - a problem, I guess, of many none-native English language bands.

Overall, a very worthy listen. Some snobs may scoff at its relative cliche -edness, and casual metal fans may find it boring, but if you just enjoy good anthemic prog music, I recommend.

Progrussia | 4/5 |