Sky Architect - A Dying Man's Hymn CD (album) cover

A DYING MAN'S HYMN

Sky Architect

voliveira
4 stars 8/10

When talking about Heavy Prog, there are two major branches: bands approaching the progressive metal, sometimes merging with the other genres called "modern", and bands looking to the past, whose sound evokes progressive rock and hard rock seventies . Sky Architect easily falls into the second group. These Dutch already has two albums in their curricula, and is the second of them, A Dying Man's Hymn, I now I review. I hope to soon hear his debut Excavations of Mind.

The influences here are clear: beyond the big names in prog classic (I hear enough of Yes and King Crimson here) soaked with a touch of jazz, you can clearly hear the references of Scandinavian bands that "revived" the prog as Änglagård and The Flower Kings. There is a strong emphasis on instrumental, which I have to thank, because the vocals are one of the low points of the album.

I say "one of" because the production lacks a bit of quality. Sometimes it all sounds too technical and cold, lacking a sense that we approach music. I like the profusion of themes discussed here, progressiveness, yet all I sometimes sounds distant. Not to mention the anti- climactic end: the songs are longer concentrated in the middle of the album, and the two shorter the pen. This would not be such a problem if the penultimate song had a little more of this "thrill" described by me.

Still, this is a great value. I have a soft spot for bands who drink seventies influences so much as Sky Architect has not gifted me with a masterpiece somehow won me over. So give a reasonable 4 star rating.

voliveira | 4/5 |