The Flower Kings - Adam & Eve CD (album) cover

ADAM & EVE

The Flower Kings

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars It took me a lot of time to figure out why Adam & Eve is my least favorite Flower King album. Even Rainmaker, with all its faults, seem to be more atractive to me than this one. Most of my friends who dig FK music think the same, but they also can't really explain it. So I put the album aside for some time and now I heard it all again to have a better view. What puzzled me is the fact that there are really many songs here that I really like and think they are par to FK's better work.

Love Supreme and Drivers Seat, for instance, are fine epics. Starlight man ios one great tune. The problem, I now understand, is the inclusion of the three songs that spoils the overall harmony of the entire album: Vampire View, Days gone By, Adam & Eve. The first is probably FK's worst song ever. Many reviewrs here say it is a humurous joke. A Joke? Maybe, but not a funny one and too long for its own good. It would be ok if it was just a filler on one of the band's double CDs, it would be a forgotten tune lost among many other tracks. Days Gone By sounds like a sequel to the same tune and goes to Adam & EWve, another song that is not one of their best offerings. These three tracks bresk down the album continuity and, being in the very middle of the CD, seem to divide it in two. So if you want to hear the best of it, you'll have to skip those.

Now I can say I like Adam & Eve. After alll, the three bad ones represent just 18 minutes in a 70+ CD. So the best stuff is a majority here. It's only a pity it took me solong to find out what was wrong with it. They should be more careful with the tracks sequence. Aside from that a good, if not essential, album.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |