Day Six - The Grand Design CD (album) cover

THE GRAND DESIGN

Day Six

Progrussia
4 stars This Dutch band focuses more on creating atmosphere than flashy technique, but they are still quite good at what they do. The atmospheres are contrasted - alternating dark melancholic passages and heavy, sometimes crushing riffs (witness Massive Glacial Wall). Somehow it reminds me of a desolate landscape and then a snowstorm. Which is fitting, considering that the album's concept deals with an alien ship found in Antarctica. And in a smarter way, not your typical X-Files way.

Anyway, contrary to what might be expected, the vocalist has a not too poweful, but pleasant, slightly melancholic regular guy voice, which I could easily imagine in a indie rock band.

For a higher rating I would like to see more variety in sound, but these songs still contain few proggy surprises, such as a midnight sax in Lost Identity, or soulful passages in the song-within-a-song Fergus Falls. And the melodies are quite hummable. I also like the occasional rumbling organ sound, giving more depth to the music. So, to encourage nice guys for what they do, I give them 4 stars.

Progrussia | 4/5 |