Le Orme - Storia o leggenda CD (album) cover

Le Orme

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4 stars Here is a quite underrated album by Le Orme. Being symphonic doesn't mean necessarily being good, and in 1977 it was the whole rock scene to demonstrate that it was time for something different. Rock needed a shake before imploding on its too intricated and pretentious structures: they had been excellent and stimulating until 1972-1973, but music needed to move on. Le Orme had understood this since 1976, when they issued their successful single "Canzone d'Amore", with that prophetic b-side "E' finita una stagione" (i.e., "A Season is over"). That very song was a straight "new wave" (the American way, more than the English one) number, and announced that the band's music was really changing. I have already expressed my opinion (not so good) about "Verit Nascoste", but by the time of "Storia o Leggenda" Le Orme had regained self-confidence and gave birth to this small jem. Ok, its cover artwork maybe is a bluff, this is neither "Uomo di Pezza" nor "Felona e Sorona", but it was a new side of the band. "Storia o Leggenda" doesn't rock that much, but is a refined work of beauty and elegance, reminding also of the folk- classical background the band has never really given up. I do like its start with "Tenerci per Mano", that fragile and exotic introduction, its dynamic rhythm patterns. The title track rearranges the classical and folk influences you can find also in "Uomo di Pezza" in a more modern context and style, while "Il Musicista" matches rock (for the rhythm) and Italian folk tunes (for the riffing) and Germano Serafin's guitar (I love it!!!) gives you the impression you have found the Italian Steve Howe. "Come una Giostra" is an impressive melancholic piece, with a good shift in the middle, and again Serafin's great job and Tagliapietra's voice at his best. The keyboard driven "Se io lavoro" is astounding, cross-cultural job where synths "-la" Tangerine Dream successfully meet a clearly folk-inspired vocal tune. "Un Angelo" is a heart-hitting ballad, featuring (in my opinion) the best lyrics by Pagliuca ever (I try translating: "I announce my joy: I've got a sunbeam keeping me warm /.../ This is a new day: I've seen they sell wings at the street market"). Shivers are just over that you meet "Il Quadro", a melancholic and mysterious song, with a very strange guitar/organ piece in the middle. Finally "Al mercato delle pulci" is an incredible instrumental piece, putting together ethnic music (with the use of marimba), prog and heavy metal guitar licks, reminding me of a sort of soundtrack. So, being a prog fan means having a mind open to anything that's beautiful, doesn't it? Don't fear approaching this album!
paolo.beenees | 4/5 |