Threshold - Hypothetical CD (album) cover

4 stars Threshold is a really important name in the english progressive metal scene, and after listening to this beautiful record I can clearly understand why. The song are wonderfully balanced between the heavy riffs, the tight time singatures changes and the catchy and marvellous melodies displayed by the singer Andrew McDermott. Altough the opener Light And Space has a quite banal beginning, with a classic heavy metal "in your face" rhythm that lacks originality, it becomes more interesting in the dreamier and softer chorus. But then the album just grows up with each song. Turn On Tune In is one of my favourite, with two marvellous chord progressions and unforgettable melodies in the verse and in the chorus (I remember singing "Turn on tune in drop out" for a week after listening to it!), and so are Sheltering Sky, Oceanbound and Long Way Home (the best chorus in the whole record, with a wonderful usage of the 7/4 time signature). The epics The Ravages Of Times and Narcissus are really good as well, and I find especially breathtaking the doubled robot-like voices based bridge in the second one. Pure genius. With the exception of Keep My Head, an horrible pop/AOR ballad, all the songs in this record are well worth the listening.

They sound a little bit cold at times (the production reminds me a lot of Images And Words '80-like sounds drums and arrangements), but the songs, that we all know are at the end of the day the more important thing, are very very strong and powerful. Really good one!

Rosenfield | 4/5 |