Nova - Vimana CD (album) cover

VIMANA

Nova

The Owl
2 stars PROS: Very cool almost 2001: A Space Odyssey inspired cover (the monolith thing), a kick- butt rhythm section of Percy Jones and Narada Michael Walden (before he went disco). Good musicians.

CONS: Rather bland, it's been done already feel to the whole thing. I can;t think of this as even remotely progressive, but rather safely staying in the confines of a self-imposed set of limitations.

Musically, it reminds me of a Santana meets Mahvishnu sort of thing but with FAR poppier tendencies, the compositions, while tightly executed I find profoundly lack ANY real originality at all. I have to say the one redeeming song "Princess and The Frog" sounded like they were having a good time laying down the funk witha Santana-esque melody on top. Corrado Rusticci definitely owes a debt to Carlos tone-wise, he can play fast but that tends to wear thin in short order. On the title cut, Percy and Narada have a field day with stuttering punctuations and such, but the song itself sounds like Textbook Exercise # 412.

Has its moments but I find little to nothing to get excited about.

The Owl | 2/5 |