John McLaughlin - Time Remembered: John McLaughlin Plays Bill Evans CD (album) cover

John McLaughlin

5 stars Let's be clear about what this album is; it is all acoustic, McLaughlin with a quintet of fine players, playing the music of a jazz master, Bill Evans, in arrangements that show the beauty of the original compostion, yet allow McLaughlin to extemporise and improvise. So in truth, if we're attaching labels, this is jazz, not prog. But if you love music of whatever type, this is a must. Sublime, enchanting, beautiful...this I have to admit is one of my all time favourites. The highlight is two back to back tracks - "Turn Out The Stars" and "We Will Meet Again". Wonderful stuff - quite possibly the highlight of McLaughlins illustrious career.
Phil | 5/5 |