Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture CD (album) cover

THE MASQUERADE OVERTURE

Pendragon

Tarcisio Moura
5 stars Best Pendragon release until now. Best release of 1996 and one of neo progressive biggest classics. Beautiful, bombastic, melodious, a winner from the first note to the very last chord. The group has been developing a very unique sound since 1991's The World, and Masquerade Overture is their crowning achievement. It's still my favorite Pendragon CD and after all this time it still makes me shake with emotion when I hear it. There is not much to say about it. I can't point the best tracks since the songs all flow in sequence very nice. Even the operatic introduction, sung in latin and without the band, fits very well into the concept.

NIck Barrett surpasses himself both as songwriter and guitarrist here. And should I not foget the unbelieveable guitar, bass and synthesizer interplay on Paintbox.

Well produced, well played (the group as a whole is in top form), great songs. The cover art is beautiful. Everything works here. A classic in the pure sense fo the word.

If you're into neo prog this is a must have. If you like music in general, give it some spins.

Tarcisio Moura | 5/5 |