Atoll - L'Araignée-Mal CD (album) cover

L'ARAIGNÉE-MAL

Atoll

Fido73
5 stars How mutch time does it take for an album to become a desert island disc? A year? 6 years 10 years?

For me, "L'Araignée-Mal" took me around a month to start as a unknown album and become one of my desert island disc!!!!!

"L'Araignée-Mal" as everything I like in music in one album...

1. Incredible musicianship. 2. Epic progressive song. 3. Jazzy instrumental. 4. Neo-progressive musical element. 5. Incredible guitar, mini-moog and violin soloing. 6. Great vocal performance. 7. Cool lyrical contents.

The album starts off a little bit like the album "The Wake" by IQ, that's the neo-progressive musical element I was talking about, keyboards background with bass and drums in a rhythm unison, then the signer starts saying differents phrases like: "...Their eyes corroded by vermin reject heavy showers of acid, their mouth blow a sulphur breath, who spit hatred and reject their plague on me..." very strong beginning.

The second song, "Gazotte No.1", is totally jazz and instrumental fill with incredible guitar, mini-moog and violin soloing, «Can I catch my breath please ?» ;)

The crazy soloing dosen't stop there because the third track, "Le voleur d'extase", is full of soloing too :) :) :)

The fourth and last track, "L'Araignée-Mal" is an epic divided in four parts, " i) Imaginez le temps", " ii) L'Areignée mal", " iii) Les robots débiles" and " iv) Le Cimetière de plastique". That epic is the summum of the album, especially part iii that has one of the greatest mini-moog solo ever been recorded on a album !!!!

The musea CD edition comes with a bonus track: "Gazotte No.1" live. It's the same as the album edition but with sax instead if the violin. This live version may lack in sound quality but not in performance, a perfect bonus track for a perfect album.

For me, being a desert island disc, "L'araignée-Mal" is definitively a must have, 5 Stars, Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music, album. Keep on proging !!!

Fido73 | 5/5 |