Fernando Perdomo - Out To Sea CD (album) cover

OUT TO SEA

Fernando Perdomo

DangHeck
4 stars That's right: You should start here.

Yes, this is my fifth album today, but you can do that when 3 of the 4 have little to no interest in them, huh? Is this masochism? I'm not so sure it is this time. It's the Adderall, for sure. The first (recorded here) Perdomo releases have been mild to great disappointments and it's one of those moments where you, the listener, must make the decision about this music for yourself. This was the first release, his fourth, where it was met with more than 2 ratings/reviews before I got to it. That gives me a bit more confidence, but we'll see [Indeed, I did see]. I assume this was the album that in some way brought people's attention to his work. I wish it had been more glaringly obvious (hopefully my reviews of the previous three are of some help).

From the get-go, "The Architect" is the most rockin' and the most Progressive item we have heard from him yet! I'm genuinely excited. This sounds like YES! And I hadn't realized until now that it is an homage to excellent and I would think only slightly underrated guitarist Peter BANKS (Yes, FLASH, EMPIRE)!!! Beautiful performance. Great riffage. Everything is beautifully mixed. Praise the Lord! With the opener alone(!), I now understand the observance of this album over what came before.

"De Boerderij" (Dutch for "The Farm") is a great, quick, classic-sounding Prog number. A bright one, for sure. Another that, to me, easily could have made its way onto a late-70s Steve HACKETT (or perhaps Jon ANDERSON) album is the next, "Roses Spread All Over the World". Utilizing electric sitar, into acoustic guitar soloing, this song offers aplenty.

Continuing in the Yesque is "The Future According to Roye", but with more an addition of spacy organ. So actually more so, by the end, the track reminds me greatly of the epic "Remember the Future" by NEKTAR! Ok... it's a tribute! hahaha. That was rewarding finding that out (thanks to whomever provided that information in the details above!). "The Dream" is quite the micro-epic! Big sound. My mind here goes to contemporaries ONCE AND FUTURE BAND.

Yet another tribute (I love the conceptualization for this, really) is to "Sonja" KRISTINA of CURVED AIR. Really impressive recreations. Here, spot on. Really impressive. To wrap things up is "Dreaming in Stereo Suite", a 16-minute epic that most immediately calls mid-70s GENESIS to mind. Another impressive guitar performance from Perdomo--and much more. I have been completely, 180 flipped on his work.

If you're a fan of classic, guitar-driven Prog (with a lot of great synth), this one will do it for you. This much is clear. And if it wasn't clearer above, truly for fans of Yes, Genesis, Flash, likely CAMEL, Curved Air, Nektar and perhaps BEARDFISH or ECHOLYN or BIG BIG TRAIN. Very pleased.

DangHeck | 4/5 |

Share this FERNANDO PERDOMO review

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.