Renaissance - Novella CD (album) cover

NOVELLA

Renaissance

Warthur
2 stars Renaissance were able to squeeze four studio albums out of the style established on Ashes Are Burning, and whilst I personally consider Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade to be rather inessential, I can see why those who are particularly taken with their classic-era approach might be inclined to prize them highly. I can't say the same about Novella, the fourth album in this style, which sees the band out of ideas and - to my ears - playing without much in the way of flair and enthusiasm. The acoustic guitar lines, the dramatic, operatic vocals, the bold and brassy piano - it's all present and correct, but good god is it tired by this point.
Warthur | 2/5 |