Jethro Tull - Aqualung CD (album) cover

AQUALUNG

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Shakespeare
3 stars Sometimes when I listen to this album, I think it's an attack on religion, other times I think it's Ian Anderson coming up with his own religion. Sometimes I even feel as if Anderson is encouraging religion, oddly enough. Sometimes I don't care, and I'm just listening to the music. But regardless of lyrical intent, the music here is great. There are some very strong, catchy tunes! Musicianship is good, but will improve for albums to come. The album is rather dark, especially the second half (methinks).

For someone new to Tull, this is the album to start with. Unless you are already a proghead, you might want to start with Thick as a Brick. Yes, Thick as a Brick (and to a lesser degree A Passion Play) are Tull's epic masterpieces, but this album deserves some recognition as well.

Shakespeare | 3/5 |