Genesis - Seconds Out CD (album) cover

SECONDS OUT

Genesis

Certif1ed
4 stars Time, Gentlemen, Please!

Quite simply, one of the best live albums you are ever likely to hear. Phil Collins does a superb job on the vocals - it's clear that generally he's trying to do a "Gabriel", but often he does things his own way, and it's some of these details that really let him shine. I particularly like the way he delivers the line "Me, I'm just a lawnmower, mate, you can tell me by the way I walk" in "I Know What I Like" (this is one of his best deliveries overall), and "A Flower?" in "Supper's Ready". Overall, Collins sounds more soulful and less strained than Gabriel.

Every song sounds fresh, but the mixing is dodgy in places. "Robbery, Assault and Battery", "Carpet Crawlers" and "Firth of Fifth" are other stand-out moments on this amazing album, even if FoF is brutally hacked (hence 4 stars).

OK, Gabriel is great, there's no denying it. The thing about Collins' voice is that it doesn't sound strained, like Gabriel tended to. BUY THIS IF YOU LIKE PROG MUSIC :0)

Certif1ed | 4/5 |