Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place CD (album) cover

THE EARTH IS NOT A COLD DEAD PLACE

Explosions In The Sky

Post Rock/Math rock

OpethGuitarist
3 stars "The" post-rock album?

Many will point to this album as one of the defining pieces of the genre. While certainly containing all the hallmarks of the genre, I can't help but find it lacking. I never feel "moved" by any of this. It's nice material, yes, but its so un-explorational that I really can't compare it to other works of excellence. It's just too "frank" for me.

The songs themselves more or less sum up the qualities of the genre, with little difference between in each song. The guitars really control the movement of the pieces and shift the scenes of the music quite easily. The music is generally amiable and peaceful sounding, and it is never forced or rushed. The band is patient with the development of the material, making for smooth transitions.

In short, we have a nice, pleasant little album that doesn't push our buttons, but also fails to do much more. If you like the confines of a genre this may be a good album for you, but if you are looking for exploration and creativity look elsewhere.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |