Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same (Film) CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

4 stars Everything written about "The Song Remains The Same" vinyl/CD applies here; here is only one dimension added. This is LED ZEPPELIN's video effort, and I dare to say that guys were much better guitarists and drummers than screenplay writers and directors. Or actors. Or whatever.

This video is undoubtedly 70's effort - you can feel the presence of some naive hippie sort of experiment, overall spleen, even the scenery - all that is closely related to band's mysticism, and that's fine, but that just doesn't works for me.

In case you don't know what to expect: do not expect some sort of Hollywood B-movie with the live LED ZEPPELIN music in the background. No. This is a "regular" live video recording, and there are scenes between the songs (should I say sketches?) not very related (or not related at all) to the music. We can see some countryside, Plant riding a horse, fight of knights, gangsters, and Bonzo on a tractor (that's something).

These scenes are not between the songs only; due to the songs lengthy nature, some scenes are included during the songs. Each band member has it's own dedicated scene but frankly, maybe they did mean much to band members themselves, providing some sort of allegory of their private life, but it won't reach the audience. It's just not working as a manifesto of idea, going that far it's hard to tell are the root ideas for the film itself good or bad.

There are others, ordinary rockumentary scenes from the tour, audience, riots, police, bands manager and stuff.

Anyway, this motion picture wasn't the best idea around, and I think it's distracting the listener from the music more than contributing. Therefore I will just subtract one star from the "The Song Remains The Same" audio version review.

clarke2001 | 4/5 |