Pineapple Thief - Little Man CD (album) cover

LITTLE MAN

Pineapple Thief

progadder
4 stars This album, whilst very good on first listen, is definitely a 'grower'.

A more 'acoustic' album than most of the previous offerings, it quietly creeps up on you until you realise that, wow, this truly is a fantastic offering.

The lyrics have a minimalist feel about them. Let me explain what I mean. There are not that many words per song because they say all that is needed and any more would be superfluous.

My favourites are the opener 'Dead in the Water',a track that builds quietly into a bombastic, frantic finish, 'Wilting Violet', the incredibly evocative 'Little Man' (I won't go into why on such a public forum) and the last track, a glorious 8-minute mini-epic 'We Love You' (to me a smaller version of my all-time favourite track, 'Remember Us').

Whilst not 'progressive' in the sense of Yes, Genesis, etc., for me this album represents the spirit of progressive music in that it goes well outside the mainstream envelope and The Pineapple Thief are not afraid to innovate. So much of the music is simply beautiful, there is no other word for it.

4.4 stars - only fails to gain 5 stars because the searing guitar breaks that I love are not there as much as I would have liked.

Having said that, would they have fitted into the overall ethos of this gem?

Thoroughly recommended.