Genesis - Spot the pigeon CD (album) cover

SPOT THE PIGEON

Genesis

ZowieZiggy
3 stars "Match of the Day" which inspired the sleeve, is a poppy song like the band will produce later on. It is not essential but not bad either. "Pigeon" has more flavour and was an attempt to a more commercial approach. But we know how the band will evolve... It is a fresh and light song; doing no harm. Just pleasant, I guess.

Sounds a bit like "Counting Out Time" to give you an idea. It would be impossible to write the same lyrics today though. Talking about pigeons : "Who congregate around Trafalgar Square Taking pot shots at the tourists" Then talking of an honest man saying "I want them out of here" !

It was quite premonitory since nowadays there aren't no pigeons any longer on Trafalgar ! "Inside Out" is the track I prefer. It has the mood of "And Then There Were Three" even if it was written during the "Wind" sessions.

It starts in a mellow, quiet mode with nice vocals and acoustic work in the background . The second part of the song (from 3'30 onwards) is quite rocky and instrumental (lots of nice keys).

Three stars for this good but not essential EP.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |