Nightwish - Angels Fall First CD (album) cover

ANGELS FALL FIRST

Nightwish

VOTOMS
2 stars The symphonic rock is fallen. Ask any high school girl wearing black and you will notice that the modern meaning of symphonic rock is gothic metal. By the way, this gothic has nothing to do with Bauhaus. A gothic symphony for me is somehing like Nox Arcana. But it's okay, I respect this modern scene and I tried a lot of bands and albums. But this one, Nightwish's debut, is another trap. It sounds too commercial for a debut. For example: if this album were released today, I think most of the Nightwish fans wouldn't see anything special about it. Since this is not the kind of stuff that really got my attention, please despise my sincere argument, if you felt any hurt.

The good slice of Angels Fall First: The last part of Beauty and The Beast. Tarja's voice is decent. Astral romance has some catchy rhythms. Tutankhamen last minutes has some funny keys. One or two of the acoustic passages are interesting.

Some bad warnings: Worst male vocals ever. Forced and artificial "epic"atmosphere. Some bands like Sonata Arctica, using the same keyboard effects, made really better soundscapes. Standard songwriting - Foreseeable riff sequences without great surprises. Lappi (Lapland), the conceptual multi-section track, is one of the most boring tracks of the album, killing the major expectations. Astral Romance intro has some Comfortably Numb rip-off, heavy metal chords version. Lame / uninteresting album cover.

VOTOMS | 2/5 |