Queensr˙che - Operation : Mindcrime II CD (album) cover

4 stars Don't buy this album with the expectation that it will be as good and Mindcrime. Nevertheless, it's the best they've produced since "Promised Land'.

It's a very good album, without a doubt.

Like other Queensryche albums, there are good songs (sometimes only two good songs, as in Q2K), and, songs that are clearly just fillers. This is no expection.

"I'm Amercian" is very good, and resembles Mincrime 1 more than any other songs on this album.

"One Foot in Hell" is not bad. It's not a "bad" song.

"Hostage" is very good. Pretty heavy, and the vocals are quite strong. Nice dynamics too.

"Hands" is probably the best on this album. I really like the bass here in the intro. A strong bass presence "used" to be a trademark of Queensryche, but, has pretty much disappeard. It makes a nice return to form here.

"Speed of Light" doesn't domuch for me. Just, boring.

"Signs Says go" is great. High energy, driving drums and bass, and strong vocals.

"Rearrange You" also is excellent. Nice guitar work in the verse's, good dynamics, very good indeed.

"Chase". Is it me, or, does this sounds like a DIO song? Whether or not, still a very good song. Nice chorus and guitar work.

"Murderer". To me, very boring.

"Circles". Can you say FILLER?

"If I could change it all". I don;t know, this just doesn't do it for me at all. It has reasonable dynamics, but, just plain boring.

"International Confrontation". Can you say FILLER?

"Junkie's blues". Again, very dynamic, good vocals, but, just boring.

"Fear City Slide". Sounds like old Rage for Order Queensryche. I like the guitat work a lot. Very nice.

"All the Promises". A slow song, and easily forgotten.

So, there you have it.

7 songs I really like. 5 songs I can do without. 2 FILLERS.

So, a huge improvement over their last few albums. It's worth buying. Half of the album is great. Just don't expect a return to the old Queensryche.

scevrog | 4/5 |