Tangerine Dream - Phaedra CD (album) cover

PHAEDRA

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

obiter
4 stars The quintessential Tangerine Dream experience. Purely electronic, no lyrics, a flow of interlacing sequencer arpeggios.

For the modern ear this is trance/space before it was invented by whoever it is in the 90s has claimed credit for it.

What to do while getting in the mood for this (not in the Glenn Miller or Rush sense): hug kittens and trees and lie outside watching the stars wheel in the sky. I reckon this album is another one for the isolation tank and incense.

Despite some of the sound effects I am reliably informed that no puppies were strangled during the last third of the title track.

Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares reminds me of a few dodgy sci-fi movies where we are meant to be overawed by the passing of some mammoth inter-stellar space craft (or backing the animation of a dying star/decaying planet's orbit: may sound weird but you'll get it if you listen to it). I'm shallow I was suitably awestruck.

Movements of a Visionary has some of those bubbly effects that are the meat and drink of hardened Ozrics fans. I love this but, I'm always yearning for Ed Wynne to take it to the next level.

Sequent C is simply haunting.

Given a choice between Phaedra and Rubycon I'd take Phaedra every time but that's just me. I feel Rubycon is essential and this masterpiece is an excellent addition to any prog collection. But like I say: I'd pick this every time.

obiter | 4/5 |