Caligula's Horse - The Tide, the Thief & River's End CD (album) cover

Caligula's Horse

5 stars After their awesome debut, CH return to blow our minds! Not exactly classified under Prog Metal IMHO, since you can sense more tech structures on the guitar and alternative vocal lines, but ok. Anyway, this is a great release for this year.

First of all there is an extraordinary guitar work on leads and on rhythms, accompanied by a flawless rhythm section. Also the great melodies and structures in the voice remind me of Butterfly Effects and Rhisloo, nevertheless it shines. Great hooks! Keys bring a layer under this, helping to create a more rich sound, something that the crystal production significantly helps.

I think they call it Prog Alternative Metal... surely Australia has this alternative style on their prog music. Anyway we get a crossover release with identity that shows us its teeth and claims a piece of this years prog pie. It deserves it and we wait a lot from these guys in the future. This genre of prog music needs acts like Caligula's Horse.

Sophocles | 5/5 |