THE TIDE, THE THIEF & RIVER'S END

Caligula's Horse

Caligula's Horse The Tide, the Thief & River's End album cover

Buy CALIGULA'S HORSE Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. A Gift to Afterthought (6:18)
2. Water:s Edge (7:39)
3. Atlas (5:02)
4. Into the White (8:29)
5. Old Cracks in New Earth (6:31)
6. Dark Hair Down (6:04)
7. Thief (2:09)
8. All is Quiet by the Wall (8:19)

Search CALIGULA'S HORSE The Tide, the Thief & River's End lyrics

- Dave Couper / Bass and vocals
- Geoff Irish / Drums

Self-Released

Thanks to Andy Webb for the addition

CALIGULA'S HORSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CALIGULA'S HORSE The Tide, the Thief & River's End Music

More places to buy CALIGULA'S HORSE music online Buy CALIGULA'S HORSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CALIGULA'S HORSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CALIGULA'S HORSE The Tide, the Thief & River's End ratings distribution

CALIGULA'S HORSE The Tide, the Thief & River's End reviews

Review by Second Life Syndrome
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock and Crossover Teams
4 stars The Aussie prog scene continues to impress me with its sheer intensity, creativity, and attitude. Prog metal band Caligula's Horse is no different, and itself showcases some great concepts and ideas. Caligula's Horse is no ordinary prog metal band, as they utilize tech metal structures and riffing styles, but somehow they come off as softer than most metal. It's actually a puzzle as to how they pull this off so well, as the result is technical and a little djenty, but melodic and atmospheric, too.

These guys know how to play really, really, well, too. Geoff Irish, the drummer, is a beast of a player, and has masterful control of the bass pedals. I'm also impressed by both Sam Vallen and Zac Greensill on guitars, as we get great solos and also djenty chugging rhythm guitars that hit hard and feel so satisfying for some reason. I think part of this may be because of Dave Couper on bass and his awesome ability to fill and complete the sound of the band.

As for vocals, Jim Grey is one of the best, in my opinion. He may sound a little reminiscent of Maynard James Keenan, but only a little. He doesn't sound like anyone else. His voice is powerful and incredibly melodious, and he seems to sing with little or no effort. He really is a special talent, and I especially enjoy his other band Arcane (due to release a monster of an album in 2014).

This album has many twists and turns that I find rather refreshing. One moment the band will be jamming pretty hard, but the next they will be playing some delicate flute or doing a little bit of guitar noodling. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the guitar noodling, such as on "Old Cracks in New Earth". I have to say that this is the one element that has caused me to lose a bit of connection with the album. On the other hand, I find this album superior to their debut album, especially in the riff composition and their melodies. "Atlas" is definitely my favorite track, but "A Gift to Afterthought", "Water's Edge", "Dark Hair Down", and "All is Quiet by the Wall" are all superb tracks that have some mind-blowing moments.

I do feel like I'm still waiting for Caligula's Horse to create their masterpiece. They have all the elements and they craft amazing music, but I'm still waiting to feel a complete connection with the lyrics and music. That said, Caligula's Horse is an excellent representative of the Aussie prog scene. I really hope people start paying more attention.

Send comments to Second Life Syndrome (BETA) | Report this review (#1082821) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 27, 2013

3 stars I've rekindled recently interest in typical prog metal, because of the new bands out there that, while not radically changing the formula, subtly mix up the ingredients and adding a new layer. Well this Horse is why I stop at the boundary of prog metal and noisy American-style alternative and ma ... (read more)

Report this review (#1124052) | Posted by Progrussia | Wednesday, January 29, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars CHorse's 2nd album rides what some are calling the new wave of progressive metal, and it is riding it somewhere near the top, ready to drop in on the unsuspecting masses of mediocre prog metal. CHorse blend their influences to create a unique sound, which probably has a bit more development in ... (read more)

Report this review (#1093969) | Posted by praj912 | Saturday, December 21, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Caligula's Horse has crafted songs that are so alive and so powerful that I get tears in my eyes. Their music makes me do more than just listen, I'm feeling it, I'm living it. What impresses me the most is how Caligula's Horse has managed to compose unexpected and modern music with plenty o ... (read more)

Report this review (#1078950) | Posted by Eldrid | Tuesday, November 19, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After their awesome debut, CH return to blow our minds! Not exactly classified under Prog Metal IMHO, since you can sense more tech structures on the guitar and alternative vocal lines, but ok. Anyway, this is a great release for this year. First of all there is an extraordinary guitar work on ... (read more)

Report this review (#1074045) | Posted by Sophocles | Friday, November 08, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Caligula's Horse ' The Tide, The Thief and River's End The progressive music scene is ever changing, as is the inherent nature of the style. As an ideal, musicians strive to look forward. Progressive music will always be a genre that artists aspire to add to, whether crossing genre styles, te ... (read more)

Report this review (#1049756) | Posted by Ginja Ninja | Tuesday, October 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well here it is, one of the most eagerly awaited albums for these ears in quite some time. I have been quite vocal in my support of this band since their debut release 'Moments from Ephemeral City' and I guess the big question has been would their follow album compete or better their previous slab ... (read more)

Report this review (#1049144) | Posted by Dougie of Anubis | Tuesday, October 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CALIGULA'S HORSE "The Tide, the Thief & River's End"