Genesis - A Trick of the Tail CD (album) cover

A TRICK OF THE TAIL

Genesis

endlessepic
4 stars A very solid album. I bought this album at a music store because I thought, "How am I supposed to talk to a progger about genesis when I don't own even one album?" hence I bought this one as I recognized it as a fairly respected collection on here. At first, lukewarm feelings, the songs just didnt seem to have much of a magic to them and I was extremely put out by Phil Collins voice, "what the heck is the disney guy doing in a prog band?" But as time went on and I tried it out more I became more accustomed to it. Now I would have to say I like Collins' voice and his very talented drumming. The whole thing is quite good, even the song that I hated at first "Squonk"

Personal favorites are "Dance on a volcano" and "Mad Mad Moon" but all are very good. "Moon" is especially beautiful with very good lyrics, great chord progression, and awesome piano. Tony Banks is one heck of a songwriter. Although it would be nice to have Gabriel on here, they do very, very well without him.

I would recommend this to anyone, and to you "Gabriel only" genesis fans, give this one a chance. There is some good stuff on here.

Great music.