Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon CD (album) cover

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Neo-Romantic
4 stars Man, this album has a lot of reviews. And for good reason! It's an album that's definitely had an undeniably profound impact on a lot of progheads' lives, either as a collection of solid songs that hold up time and time again or as a source of influence for an innumerable statistic of other bands that make up this wonderful genre of music.

So we all know it's important from a historical standpoint. If we magnify the album to look at its songs and construction, how does it fare?

Pretty well, I'll say. There are a few moments that feel like filler here and there to me, but these aren't large enough to kill any particular tune. It flows really well as an album. Musically speaking, it's very relaxing, but not totally devoid of interest. A few of the songs run the risk of losing their magic if played too often, but they seem to receive a new life when the album is left alone for a few months. That's a really commendable trait about it, and one that ensures that it'll stay around for quite some time! I can definitely understand why my generation those younger than I am have wholeheartedly embraced it alongside or in favor of so many of today's contemporary acts. It works, and definitely holds up.

I won't give it a full masterpiece rating based on the fact that I won't consider any one track an indispensable part of my life, but I definitely do love a lot of the moments on this album and always think fondly of them when the album is playing. Again, some parts that feel like filler to me cause my interest and immersion to wane slightly too, but it's definitely forgivable as it doesn't tank the listening experience by any stretch of the imagination. They also reach wonderfully fulfilling emotional peaks, especially Us and Them, that truly make this album stand out and make it worthy of all the hype.

So I give it a solid 4 stars that in no way is meant to imply negativity. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be a wonderful piece of music, which this album definitely is.

Neo-Romantic | 4/5 |